Authentic Hungarian Goulash (Gulyasleves)
- 2 tbsp. oil or shortening
- 2 yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 lb. beef chuck, cut in 1" pieces
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tbsp. imported sweet hungarian paprika
- 1 qt. very hot water
- 4 peeled and diced potatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- dumpling batter (see directions)
- sour cream
How to Make Authentic Hungarian Goulash (Gulyasleves)
- 1Brown onions in shortening. Reduce heat to low. Add beef, salt, pepper, and paprika. Cover and cook for 1 hour.
- 2Add hot water, diced potatoes and bay leaves. Cover and simmer until potatoes are done and meat is tender.
- 3Prepare egg dumpling batter:
1 slightly beaten egg
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 c. + 2 Tblsp. flour
Add salt to egg. Stir in flour. Let stand for 1/2 hour.
- 4Drop dumpling mixture by teaspoonfuls onto top of goulash. Cover and simmer 5 minutes after dumplings rise to surface.
- 5Serve with sour cream.