You can have it meatless or my fav is adding in layer of pepperoni (because my father accidentally got turkey pepperoni so I had to use them somehow).
Feel free to try various sauces, different vegetables added (mushrooms would be fabulous and I have used summer squash as well), and different meats! I love versatile food!
Also, you can amp up the sauce if you want. I just kept the recipe to the bones.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium zucchini, cubed
- 1-2 tespoons minced garlic
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup marinara sauce (i use classico)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 package sliced pepperoni (optional)
- 4 (6 inch) french or italian sandwich rolls, split
How to Make Zucchini Grinders
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 2Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Saute the zucchini, pepper, onion, and garlic until slightly tender. Season with red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, and stir in the marinara sauce. Cook and stir until sauce is heated.
- 3Place a small amount of mozzarella cheese into the bottom of each roll. Top with a layer of pepperonis and a generous amount of the zucchini mixture. Top with more mozzarella cheese. Wrap each roll in aluminum foil.
- 4Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, until bread is warm and cheese is melted.