Tuscan Veggie Tarts
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 c
- (8oz) ripe tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 1 large
- onion, sliced
- 14 1/2 oz
- puff pastry sheet, thawed
- 4 Tbsp
- good quality tapenade
- 1 c
- (8oz) roasted red peppers, drained if from a jar
- handful of mixed green and black olives, pitted
- olive oil, extra virgin(for drizzling)
- handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, finly chopped, or fresh basil leaves, roughly torn
How to Make Tuscan Veggie Tarts
- 1Preheat the oven to 400°F. Put the tomatoes in a bowl, and cover with boiling water. After 20 seconds in the boiling water, plunge them straight into cold water. Drain and peel the tomatoes, then quarter them. Set aside.
- 2Heat the oil in a frying pan. Sauté the onion over moderate heat for about 5 minutes, until soft and golden.
- 3• Cut the pastry sheet into quarters, and place them on a baking tray. Spread 1 tablespoon of the tapenade over the middle of each quarter, leaving a border of about ½”. Cut the peppers into strips. Combine them with the tomatoes, sautéed onion and olives, and divide the mixture between the pastry quarters. Smooth it over the tapenade, making sure you don’t cover the border.
- 4• Bake for 15 minutes, or until the pastry is golden and puffy. Drizzle a little olive oil over the top, scatter the fresh parsley or basil over the tarts, and serve warm.