My whole family enjoys these meatballs. For years my kids (now my Grandkids) would sit up on the counter and hand fold this mixture and then roll into meatballs. What fun is that?? The raisins in the give the meatballs give them a sweet bite too.
2 lbground beef, lean
2 chard italian bread, cubed (any kind will do)
3 Tbspbasil, fresh
1/4 cgrated cheese,
pinchsalt and pepper, to taste
2 can(s)crushed tomatoes, or favorite tomato sauce.
How to Make Raisin Meatballs
- Add Bread and milk in large bowl. Soak then press out extra milk from bread, discard excess milk and keep wet bread in bowl.
- In small processor puree onion and garlic, then add egg. Add contents to bread.
- Add raisins, basil, cheese, salt and pepper. Hand mix.
- Roll into golf size, or bigger balls.
- Fry in skillet in fry oil until brown. Remove from pan when done and replace with more meatballs to fry.
- When meatballs are all fried reserve about 1/4 cup of flavored oil in pan. Add cooked meatballs to skillet and then add 2 cans tomatoes. Season tomatoes, to liking. Simmer on low while boiling water for pasta. Serve with favorite pasta.