Mama D's Italian Bread
How to Make Mama D's Italian Bread
- Add the sugar and yeast to the warm water and let proof.
- Stir in 4 cups of flour and beat until smooth. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Beat in the salt and then add enough remaining flour to make a stiff dough. Kneed until as soft and smooth as a bambino's behind. Turn in a greased bowl, cover, and let double in size. (I put it in the oven with the light on - perfect rising temperature.)
- Once doubled, punch down and divide into three pieces. Place back in the bowl, cover, and let rise.
- Once doubled again, punch down and form into three fat "footballs." Grease heavy cookie sheets and sprinkle with corn meal. Place the bread on the sheets, cover with a towel, and let rise.
- Once risen, mist with water and place in a preheated 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) oven. Mist loaves with water and turn occasionally while they bake. Bread is done when golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.