Italian Pressed Sandwich
·1 loaf italian or french bread = save the bag it comes in,you'll be putting it back in this !
·olive oil to coat
1/2 lbdeli salami ,shaved
1/4 ozdeli pepperoni,shaved
1/4 lbdeli ham or prosciotto,shaved
1/2 smallred onion,very thinly sliced
2 mediumtomatoes,sliced thinly and patted semi dry
1 smallleaf lettuce,shredded
1/4 lbsmoked gouda cheese,very thinly sliced
1/4 lbmozzerella cheese,very thinly sliced
pinchdry italian seasoning, to taste
·salt and pepper to taste
2 largerubber bands
How to Make Italian Pressed Sandwich
- Split bread in half horizontally.
- carefully take out the interior of the loaf from the crusts,leaving about 1/2 inch thickness,
*if you need to fill in a spot too thin, just fill in with removed bread.
- Drizzle inside of both sides with olive oil.
- Rub crushed garlic inside of both sides .
- Layer meats on bottom half of sandwich.
- Layer veggies in order listed on top of meat.
sprinkle dry herbs and salt and pepper to taste.
- Layer cheeses on top of lettuce.
- Put top of loaf on.
- tuck in any "loose" ingredents.
- Return loaf to bag. (you will need to press it down to make it fit)
- press sandwich (now in bag )to remove all air and twist-tie,
- sandwich the loaf between 2 cookie sheets and put rubber bands around cookie sheets to "press" and secure sandwich.
- refridgerate 3 - 8 hours.
To serve - slide partially out of sleve and cut off desired amount.