- eggplant, medium size
- egg, beaten
- 1/2 tsp
- 6 Tbsp
- oil, salad or olive oil
- 1 tsp
- basil, (optional)
- 1/4 lb
- cheddar cheese (sliced or grated)
- 1 can(s)
- tomato sauce (8 oz)
- 1/4 c
- onion, minced
How to Make EGGPLANT ROMA
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2Peel skin from eggplant. Cut eggplant crosswise (circles) not too thin (about 1/2 inch is good).
- 3Dip eggplant into beaten egg to which salt has been added.
- 4Saute slowly in hot oil until brown on both sides, and not quite tender.
- 5In a shallow 9 x 9 inch baking dish, arrange stacks of 3 each with cheddar cheese between and on top.
- 6Pour around stacks of eggplant and cheese, the tomato sauce which has been heated with minced onion, salt, and peppered to taste.
- 7Bake 25-30 minutes until cheese melts and sauce is bubbly.
- 8NOTE: When I make this simple delicious dish, I usually use more than 1 medium eggplant which, of course, will make you adjust the other ingredient amounts accordingly, and use a larger baking dish. You can make as little or as much as you want of this Eggplant Roma - depending on the number of people you want to serve. Even the NON-eggplant lover will enjoy this dish. Hope you do too!