1eggplant, medium size
6 Tbspoil, salad or olive oil
1 tspbasil, (optional)
1/4 lbcheddar cheese (sliced or grated)
1 can(s)tomato sauce (8 oz)
1/4 conion, minced
How to Make EGGPLANT ROMA
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel skin from eggplant. Cut eggplant crosswise (circles) not too thin (about 1/2 inch is good).
- Dip eggplant into beaten egg to which salt has been added.
- Saute slowly in hot oil until brown on both sides, and not quite tender.
- In a shallow 9 x 9 inch baking dish, arrange stacks of 3 each with cheddar cheese between and on top.
- Pour around stacks of eggplant and cheese, the tomato sauce which has been heated with minced onion, salt, and peppered to taste.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until cheese melts and sauce is bubbly.
- NOTE: When I make this simple delicious dish, I usually use more than 1 medium eggplant which, of course, will make you adjust the other ingredient amounts accordingly, and use a larger baking dish. You can make as little or as much as you want of this Eggplant Roma - depending on the number of people you want to serve. Even the NON-eggplant lover will enjoy this dish. Hope you do too!