6 ozfresh mozzarella
1/4 ccanola oil or other light oil with a high smoke point
1 mediumpurple eggplant
1-2 sprig(s)fresh basil, leaves only
·salt and pepper to taste
4 sliceitalian bread
How to Make Eggplant, Pancetta & Fresh Mozzarella Open-faced Sandwiches
- Remove the fresh mozzarella from the refrigerator to allow it to come toward room temperature.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium high until it shimmers. If the oil is too cold, too much of it will soak into the eggplant.
- Peel the eggplant and cut into 1/4 inch dice. Saute the eggplant in the hot oil until soft and translucent.
- Remove the eggplant from the skillet and spread it out on paper towels soak away some of the oil.
- Cut the pancetta into 1/4 inch dice and slice the mushrooms. Saute in the still hot pan where you cooked the eggplant. Turn down the heat a bit if necessary.
- Chop the basil and garlic. When the pancetta has rendered its fat and the mushrooms are starting to brown, add the basil and garlic and saute a minute or two.
- Add the eggplant to the pancetta and mushroom mixture and continue to saute until it is somewhat brown and gold and the garlic has lost its raw bite. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lay the bread on the dinner plates. Put slices of fresh mozzarella on the bread.
- Spread the hot eggplant mixture on top of the cheese which will melt a bit. A fork is needed to eat this.