Christmas Sammie Pie Italiano !
The two secret ingredients this week are:
Red Bell Pepper
Red Wine Vinegar
I had left over pie crust, and thought.... HMMMMMM and this is what I came up with!
*** This is great as is, but you can add the optional meats if desired.
Thanks Sherri for making us think outside the box! xo
- 1 large
- onion (minced) (saute'd)
- 2 large
- red bell peppers (roasted and peeled) (chopped)
- 2 can(s)
- tomatoes (32-40 ounces)
- (chopped,drained by pressing into a colander)
- 3 box
- spinach, frozen (drained by pressing into a colander)
- 1 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- each: cayenne pepper and salt
- 1/2 tsp
- ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 1/2 tsp
- garlic powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
- red wine vinegar
- 2 large
- home made or refrigerated pie crusts (to fit a 10 or 12 inch pie plate)
- or you can use pizza crust or bread dough
- 8 - 12 oz
- provolone cheese (shredded)
- 6 - 8 oz
- mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- pepperonie slices, italian sausage (cooked and crumbled)
Chop up the pepper and put in skillet with the remaining onion mixture. Stirring cook until peppers are softened and cooked. Set aside.
Add more cheese on top of the spinach layer.
Add remaining cheese on top of tomato and pepper mixture.
Make a "steam hole" in the center of top crust.
Let cool for 5 minutes or more before slicing.