Christmas Sammie Pie Italiano !
The two secret ingredients this week are:
Red Bell Pepper
Red Wine Vinegar
I had left over pie crust, and thought.... HMMMMMM and this is what I came up with!
*** This is great as is, but you can add the optional meats if desired.
Thanks Sherri for making us think outside the box! xo
1 largeonion (minced) (saute'd)
2 largered bell peppers (roasted and peeled) (chopped)
2 can(s)tomatoes (32-40 ounces)
·(chopped,drained by pressing into a colander)
3 boxspinach, frozen (drained by pressing into a colander)
1/4 tspeach: cayenne pepper and salt
1/2 tspground black pepper
1 1/2 tspgarlic powder
1 1/2 Tbspred wine vinegar
2 largehome made or refrigerated pie crusts (to fit a 10 or 12 inch pie plate)
·or you can use pizza crust or bread dough
8 - 12 ozprovolone cheese (shredded)
6 - 8 ozmozzarella cheese (shredded)
·pepperonie slices, italian sausage (cooked and crumbled)
How to Make Christmas Sammie Pie Italiano !
- Saute the onion in skillet with 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. When translucent, add the red wine vinegar, spices, sugar. Cook about 1 minute. Remove halve from skillet and set aside.
- Roast the red bell pepper over a flame or use a kitchen torch. Cool and peel off the thin skin.
Chop up the pepper and put in skillet with the remaining onion mixture. Stirring cook until peppers are softened and cooked. Set aside.
- Chop up tomatoes and squeese in a colander to remove most of the juice. Place the tomatoes in the skillet with the pepper mixture. Set aside.
- Roll out the two pie crusts to desired thickness and large enough to fit in a deep large pie pan. Save second crust for the top crust.
- Place a scant layer of the tomato and pepper mixture on the bottom of the pie shell.
- Put some provolone and mozzarella cheese on the tomato and pepper mixture.
- Add a thick layer of the spinach mixture on top of the cheese.
Add more cheese on top of the spinach layer.
- Add the rest of the tomato and pepper mixture on top of the cheese layer.
Add remaining cheese on top of tomato and pepper mixture.
- Place the top crust on the pie. Seal by trimming and carefully tucking the top cruse into the pie plate behind the crust that goes up the sides of the pie plate.
Make a "steam hole" in the center of top crust.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 35 - 45 minutes. The crust should be golden brown and flakey.
Let cool for 5 minutes or more before slicing.