Chicken Barley Soup w/potatoes & carrots
- 10 c
- chicken broth
- 1 c
- pearl barley
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 2 Tbsp
- unsalted butter
- 3 small
- leeks white part only, well cleaned & diced
- 1 large
- stalk celery with leaves thinly sliced
- 1/4 c
- flat leaf parsley chopped fine
- 1 tsp
- finely chopped fresh rosemary or 1/2 tsp dry
- 2 medium
- potatoes, peeled and cubed 1/2"
- 2 large
- carrots peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 c
- freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
How to Make Chicken Barley Soup w/potatoes & carrots
- 1Bring the broth to a boil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the barley slowly and when it begins to boil, reduce the heat to slow but steady simmer. Cover and cook until the barley is almost tender about 45 minutes.
- 2Heat the oil and butter in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, parsley & rosemary and saute until the onion begins to turn golden, around 5 minutes. Transfer this into the soup pot mixture, scraping skillet with rubber spatula.
- 3Add the potatoes and carrots to soup, cook till tender about 30 min. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Serve in warmed bowls and sprinkle with cheese if desired.