Best Pizza This Side of Heaven
2 can(s)tomato sauce (5 oz)
1/2 tspgarlic powder or 2 cloves crushed fresh
1/2 tsponion powder
1 tspdried oregano or 2 tsp fresh chopped
1 Tbsphot pepper flakes
1/2 tspsalt, less if tomatoes are salted
1 Tbspfreshly ground black pepper
2/3 cwarm water
1 3/4-2 cflour ( or more)
8 ozpart-skim mozzerella cheese shredded
·toppings such as onions, green peppers, mushrooms, etc.
How to Make Best Pizza This Side of Heaven
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a small sauce pan,leave cover ajar so steam can escape. Turn on low and check every 15 minutes.
- Sauce is done when it is not quite the thickness of tomato paste. Set aside covered. Best put on the pizza when at room temperature.
- Note: any commercial pizza sauce can be used of course.
- While sauce is cooking and reducing, add yeast and warm water to heavy duty mixer with kneeding hook. Add 1 1/2 cups of the flour and turn on mixer. Amounts are dependent on humidity. You want the dough to pull away from the sides but when you stop the mixer the dough will still "pool" in the bottom. Add flour until you reach this point, a TBSP at a time.
- Dough is obviously very sticky. Release the dough hook and prop against the inside of the bowl. Cover the bowl with Saran wrap and leave for 30 min.
- Add the salt(Not before)Re-establish dough hook and put on medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Grease hands and a rubber spatula. Slide hand down the dough hook and remove all dough. Then use the spatula to work the dough out into a oiled large bowl. Once in, turn the dough to cover with oil. Cover with oiled saran wrap and a few towels. Place in warm location and leave for one hour.
- Re-oil spatula and scoop under the edge of the dough and around, turning dough on itself. Turn bowl a quarter turn. Do 4 times, until the dough has been folded on itself. Cover and return to warm area and leave for 30 minutes.
- Repeat step 8.
- Take a jelly roll pan and place about 3 tablespoons of oil in it. With a spatula push out your dough onto it. With oiled hands, spread with palms and then fingertips spreading the dough to the edges. If it resists, cover with a towel and leave for 20 minutes. Then continue. Be gentle! Let rise for 30 min.
- Put a pizza stone in oven if you have one. Preheat oven to 500 for 30 minutes. Assemble pizza: pour pizza sauce and spread with a soft brush or with the back of a spoon. You will use about 3/4. Then place shredded mozzarella over all, then pepperoni and then other toppings.
- Place pan in oven for approximately 15 minutes.
Check after 12. Edges should be starting to brown. Remove and if you wish, using a metal spatula, slide under one end and the pizza will slide out, onto a cutting surface. Let stand for 10 minutes and then slice up as desired. And then be prepared for the best pizza you have ever had!