Best Pizza Dough Recipe
Maggie May Schill
It has taken quite a lot of trial and error with different flours; all-purpose, bread-flour, whole wheat, unbleached...even cake flower. I also have been trading out ratios for yeast and rise times, even messing with how much to kneed...or not to kneed. (that is the question!!!)
The pictures in this post are of a BBQ chicken pizza I made. I also made a yummy alfredo chicken garlic pizza as well.
- 4 c
- unbleached organic bread flour
- 1 tsp
- 1 tsp
- envelope dry yeast
- 1 1/2 c
- warm water (between 110'f and 115'f, use instant read thermometer.)
- 4 Tbsp
- extra virgin olive oil, divided.
How to Make Best Pizza Dough Recipe
- 5Kneed dough for about 5 minutes to get the gluten acting all elastic-like!
You have to kneed until the dough is not the least bit sticky and is flexible enough to be pulled thinly. If you hold the dough up to the kitchen light you should be able to pull the dough until it is so thin you can see the light through the dough. That's when you know it is perfect.
Beware you can over kneed dough... in which case I say enjoy your yeast rolls, because if you over kneed it to the point the gluten is so taunt that it starts to tear easy when stretched yeast rolls are one of the only options for not wasting the dough.
- 6Grease a large mixing bowl with remaining 2 Tablespoons of olive oil and place dough ball in bowl and cover with a clean cloth.
- 7Allow pizza dough to sit in bowl for 2 hours where it will almost double in size.