Beet, Gorgonzola, and Purple Basil Pizza
This recipe is a crowd pleaser. My husband loved it (beets are NOT on the top of his list of lovely flavors), the kids loved it, and my mother did too though she didn't know what she was eating until afterwards.
It was so good, I can't wait to make it again!
- batch of your favorite homemade pizza dough
- beet, boiled, peeled, then sliced
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 Tbsp
- garlic, chopped
- 1/2 c
- mozzarella cheese
- handful of purple basil from the garden
- a handful of chives from the garden
- 1/2 c
- gorgonzola cheese
- 3 Tbsp
- olive oil, extra virgin, for drizzling
- 1 Tbsp
- ground oregano
- 1 tsp
- italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- squeeze of lemon (optional)
- serve with parmesiano reggiano cheese
How to Make Beet, Gorgonzola, and Purple Basil Pizza
- 1Make pizza dough the night before.
- 2Roll dough to desired size and shape. Place dough in presprayed pan.
- 3Add olive oil and garlic. Massage into dough.
- 4Top with mozzarella, evenly spread about the dough.
- 5Then add your beet slices that you previously boiled, cooled, peeled, and sliced. I would not recommend canned beets on this recipe. Only fresh.
- 6Place purple basil leaves about, as well. You can substitute with sweet basil or Aristotle basil.
- 7Next, cut your fresh chives in about 1in pieces. Top pizza with this.
- 8Even apply gorgonzola.
- 9Then sprinkle olive oil atop. Sprinkle oregano and Italian seasonings. Add salt and pepper. And optionally squeeze a lemon over. This can be done (lemon) before or after baking.
- 11Remove from oven and serve with parmesiano reggiano shaved, not grated, cheese.
- 12I recommend serving this with either red wine, dark purple grape juice, or sparkling French Pink Lemonade.