Beet, Gorgonzola, and Purple Basil Pizza
This recipe is a crowd pleaser. My husband loved it (beets are NOT on the top of his list of lovely flavors), the kids loved it, and my mother did too though she didn't know what she was eating until afterwards.
It was so good, I can't wait to make it again!
1batch of your favorite homemade pizza dough
1beet, boiled, peeled, then sliced
2 Tbspolive oil, extra virgin
1 Tbspgarlic, chopped
1/2 cmozzarella cheese
1handful of purple basil from the garden
1/2a handful of chives from the garden
1/2 cgorgonzola cheese
3 Tbspolive oil, extra virgin, for drizzling
1 Tbspground oregano
1 tspitalian seasoning
·salt and pepper to taste
·squeeze of lemon (optional)
·serve with parmesiano reggiano cheese
How to Make Beet, Gorgonzola, and Purple Basil Pizza
- Make pizza dough the night before.
- Roll dough to desired size and shape. Place dough in presprayed pan.
- Add olive oil and garlic. Massage into dough.
- Top with mozzarella, evenly spread about the dough.
- Then add your beet slices that you previously boiled, cooled, peeled, and sliced. I would not recommend canned beets on this recipe. Only fresh.
- Place purple basil leaves about, as well. You can substitute with sweet basil or Aristotle basil.
- Next, cut your fresh chives in about 1in pieces. Top pizza with this.
- Even apply gorgonzola.
- Then sprinkle olive oil atop. Sprinkle oregano and Italian seasonings. Add salt and pepper. And optionally squeeze a lemon over. This can be done (lemon) before or after baking.
- Remove from oven and serve with parmesiano reggiano shaved, not grated, cheese.
- I recommend serving this with either red wine, dark purple grape juice, or sparkling French Pink Lemonade.