BAKED FRESH TOMATO PASTA
This dish is fabulous over cooked pasta with more pecorino romano cheese on top of each serving!Just add a tossed green salad and some crusty bread. You can also use this as an Appetizer. Just thinly slice a baguette, rub the slices with a garlic clove and toast both sides lightly in the oven. Then top with this concoction (roughly chopped). I Hope you enjoy it as much as my family does.
- fresh roma tomatoes, cut in half, seeds removed
- One bunch
- fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsly chopped
- 2 c
- fresh, grated pecorino romano cheese
- One bunch
- fresh basil, stems removed, rough chopped
- good quality/tasting olive oil
- 1/2 - 1 lb
- optional: fresh crimini or brown mushrooms, wiped clean, thick sliced
- 1 - 2
- bulbs (not cloves) fresh garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 lb
- cooked pasta (your choice - i use angel hair
How to Make BAKED FRESH TOMATO PASTA
- 1Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Using two 13x9" glass baking pans, spray with cooking spray and pour enough olive oil to lightly cover bottom of pans.
- 2Place tomato halves cut-side up in baking pans. lightly drizzle olive oil over tomato halves. Sprinkle tomatoes with salt and fresh, ground black pepper.
- 3Combine minced garlic, chopped parsley and grated pecorino romano cheese. Add enough olive oil to make a thick paste and pack this mixture into each tomato half.
- 4Cover pans with aluminum foil and bake in a slow oven for approximately 2 1/2 - 3 hours. Remove from oven and pour tomato mixture into a large mixing bowl. Be sure to scrape the pans to get every last bit of the juices and browned goodies off the bottom of the pans. ADD: chopped, fresh basil. Using a potato masher, lightly mash up tomato mixture. Add sauteed mushrooms (see next step) and mix together. Toss mixture with cooked pasta and serve. Pass extra romano cheese.
- 5If using fresh mushrooms, saute mushroom slices in butter over med-hi heat until a golden 'crust' forms on the shrooms, turning over as needed. Pour mushrooms and juice into the mashed tomato mixture.
- 6Cook pasta of your choice in boiling water until just al dente, drain and mix hot past with the finished tomato sauce, adding more pecorino romano cheese to each serving. Enjoy!