Pistou Provencal (South of France vegetable soup)- Hearty, delicious, simple!
This is a guaranteed success recipe! And best of all you probably have the majority of the items on hand!
I have this written down in my recipes, but couldn't say where I got it from.
3 Tbspolive oil
1onion, peeled and chopped
1 clovegarlic, peeled and crushed
1leek, trimmed and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
2celery stalks, trimmed and chopped
8 ozcarrots, scraped and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
1 can(s)garbanzo beans/chickpeas (standard 14 oz can)
5 cvegetable stock (home made or store bought)
4tomatoes, skinned and chopped
1zucchini, trimmed and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
1/2 csmall pasta shapes of your choice (mini shells are my fave!)
1/4 cpesto (home made or a quality store bought)
·salt and freshly ground black pepper
·shredded parmesan cheese (vegans, use nutritional yeast on top instead of parmesan)
How to Make Pistou Provencal (South of France vegetable soup)- Hearty, delicious, simple!
- HELPFUL TIP: Drop the tomatoes in a pot of boiling water for 10 seconds, take them out with a slotted spoon and the skin will come right off.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Drop the onion, garlic, leek, celery and carrots in. Give them a quick stir; cover the pan and cook gently for about 15 minutes (until the veggies start to get soft).
- Add the chickpeas (undrained) and the vegetable stock. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to a simmer and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and zucchini, bring soup back to a boil, and then lower to a simmer and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the pasta and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the pesto sauce. (And salt and pepper to taste)
- Serve topped with a heaping spoonful of fresh (not powdered stuff in a green jar!) parmesan cheese.