Pistou Provencal (South of France vegetable soup)- Hearty, delicious, simple!
This is a guaranteed success recipe! And best of all you probably have the majority of the items on hand!
I have this written down in my recipes, but couldn't say where I got it from.
- 3 Tbsp
- olive oil
- onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove
- garlic, peeled and crushed
- leek, trimmed and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- celery stalks, trimmed and chopped
- 8 oz
- carrots, scraped and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 can(s)
- garbanzo beans/chickpeas (standard 14 oz can)
- 5 c
- vegetable stock (home made or store bought)
- tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- zucchini, trimmed and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1/2 c
- small pasta shapes of your choice (mini shells are my fave!)
- 1/4 c
- pesto (home made or a quality store bought)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- shredded parmesan cheese (vegans, use nutritional yeast on top instead of parmesan)
How to Make Pistou Provencal (South of France vegetable soup)- Hearty, delicious, simple!
- 1HELPFUL TIP: Drop the tomatoes in a pot of boiling water for 10 seconds, take them out with a slotted spoon and the skin will come right off.
- 2Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Drop the onion, garlic, leek, celery and carrots in. Give them a quick stir; cover the pan and cook gently for about 15 minutes (until the veggies start to get soft).
- 3Add the chickpeas (undrained) and the vegetable stock. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to a simmer and cook for another 20 minutes.
- 4Add the tomatoes and zucchini, bring soup back to a boil, and then lower to a simmer and cook for another 5 minutes.
- 5Add the pasta and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- 6Add the pesto sauce. (And salt and pepper to taste)
- 7Serve topped with a heaping spoonful of fresh (not powdered stuff in a green jar!) parmesan cheese.