Kelli's Decadent Yet Classic French Toast
I woke up this morning and had a taste for them, but with only fresh bread in the house, I simply toasted the bread before dipping it in the batter.
I hope you try this recipe and love it just as much as we do.
- 12 slice
- butter bread (preferred) or use what you have on hand
- if using fresh bread, toast the bread before dipping in the batter
- 2 large
- 3 c
- heavy cream
- 3 c
- milk, skim (preferred) or use what you have on hand
- 3 Tbsp
- granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp
- brown sugar
- 2 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp
- cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 tsp
How to Make Kelli's Decadent Yet Classic French Toast
- 1Set aside the bread. If using fresh bread, toast the slices then set aside. Heat 2 tablespoons of canola oil in a non-stick pan over medium high heat.
- 2In a small bowl add eggs, heavy cream, milk, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix with an electric mixer on medium speed until all the ingredients are well blended, about 30 - 60 seconds. The batter will have a creamy foam on the top. Mix that in with a fork.
- 3I use a 10 inch non-stick pan so I cook mine two at a time. If using a larger non-stick pan, you should be able to cook three at a time, just do not over crowd your pan. Over crowding does not produce even cooking.
Dip the bread in the batter, 1 slice at a time, until well coated. I usually just put a slice in, push it down then take it right out; it will be well coated. Place in the pan. Do the same to the 2nd slice.
Cook for 3 - 5 minutes per side (time per side will depend on your stove so use your best judgement on the cook time). When done, top with butter and your favorite maple syrup or fruit topping.