'CROCK' AU VIN
My brother's favorite! I brown the meat and assemble everything in the crock pot sleeve the night before. The morning of the day I want to serve it, I place it in the crock pot, turn it on, and leave. Six hours later you have a dish that tastes like you've been cooking for hours!
★★★★★ 1 vote5
2 sliceapplewood smoked bacon, diced
13 pound or larger chicken, cut into 8 pieces
2 clovegarlic, minced
2 Tbsptomato paste
6 Tbspall purpose flour
1/2 tspfreshly-ground black pepper
1/2 tspdried thyme
1 Tbspdried parsley
1 bottle750 ml burgundy wine
2 clow-sodium chicken stock
8 ozcremini mushrooms
8 ozpearl onions, peeled
How to Make 'CROCK' AU VIN
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until brown and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate, leaving the fat in the skillet.
- Brown the chicken on both sides in the bacon fat, about 3-5 minutes per side. Remove the chicken with tongs and place in the sleeve of a 3-quart or larger crock pot.
- Add the garlic to the skillet and cook for one minute.
- Whisk in the tomato paste, flour, salt, pepper, thyme and parsley and cook for one minute.
- Slowly whisk in the wine and chicken stock until there are no lumps. Bring the mixture to a simmer and simmer for one minute.
- Place the mushrooms and pearl onions in the crock pot with the chicken. Pour over the wine mixture. Cover and cook on low for six hours.
- Serve with the crispy bacon bits and some fresh parsley sprinkled over the top.