Coconut Berry Macadamia French Toast
Blue Ribbon Recipe
When presented, this looks almost too good to eat! I used raspberries in the Test Kitchen, and my taste buds were very happy. The nut/coconut coating gives you a surprise crunch. Adding a dollop of whipped cream tops this wonderfully! The Test Kitchen
- loaf of thick white bread (Texas Toast works well)
- 1 lb
- strawberries or raspberries
- 1 pt
- heavy whipping cream
- 1 pkg
- cream cheese, softened
- 2 Tbsp
- sugar, divided
- 1/3 c
- sweetned flaked coconut
- 1/3 c
- macadamia nuts, finely chopped
- egg whites (or just 2 whole lg. eggs)
- 1/3 c
- red food coloring drops
How to Make Coconut Berry Macadamia French Toast
- 1Mash berries and add 1 tbsp of sugar. Set aside.
- 2In pie plate mix egg and milk.
- 3In different pie plate mix nuts and coconut.
- 4Dip each slice of bread first in egg mixture, then in nut mixture and place in greased, hot skillet. Cook for a few minutes on each side until golden brown. Sometimes with the thick bread, I even stand them on their sides to brown for a bit.
- 5Whip pint of cream on high until stiff, adding 1 tbsp of sugar towards the end of whipping. Set aside 1/2 of the whipped cream in bowl. In remaining 1/2 of whipped cream, if desired, add red food coloring, mix and also set this whipped cream in in fridge until all the french toast is cooked.
In separate bowl, whip cream cheese until smooth and airy. Fold into white 1/2 of whipped cream.
- 6Layer 1 slice of cooked french toast, cream cheese mixture, some of the smashed berries, another slice of the toast, and then a dollop of the pink whipped cream and a little more berries. Yum!