Tilapia Ceviche and Black Bean Salad with Red Bull Rice
I had never made my own ceviche, and with Tilapia as the base, I knew it would not have a "fishy" taste. The Black beans required were a perfect foil for the sharp taste of the lemon marinade on the Tilapia, and rice seemed like the perfect accompaniment. The cola just fit to give the rice a mildly sweet touch and again, offset the tangy lemony dressing. Swing in some tasty herbs and spices and there you have it.
- 1/2 lb
- tilapia fillets
- 2to 3 large
- lemons, juiced
- stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 medium
- onion, sliced thin
- 1 medium
- red sweet bell pepper, chopped fine
- 1 can(s)
- black beans, canned, drained and rinsed
- 1 c
- cherry tomatoes, quartered (i had yellow ones)
- 2 to 3 dash(es)
- jalapeño pepper sauce or 1 seeded and finely diced jalapeno
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp
- garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp
- ground cumin
- 1 to 2 tsp
- 2 to 4 Tbsp
- olive oil, extra virgin
- 1/4 c
- chopped cilantro or italian parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 c
- long grain rice, uncooked
- 1 c
- 1/2 c
- red bull energy drink
- 1/4 c
- cola flavored drink (coke is my preference)
- 2 to 3 Tbsp
- soy sauce
How to Make Tilapia Ceviche and Black Bean Salad with Red Bull Rice
- 1Cook your rice. Place liquids in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Add rice, bring back to a boil and then turn down to low and cover. Cook 12 to 15 minutes, check if rice is tender and liquids are all absorbed. Remove from heat and leave covered for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- 2Cut Tilapia fillet into approximately 1/2" cubes and place in medium non-reactive bowl. Squeeze the lemon juice, through a strainer into the bowl with the tilapia. If there is not enough to almost cover, you might need another lemon. Try to push the tilapia down so it is submerged in lemon juice. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour, stir twice during refrigeration and keep the fish submerged.
- 3In another large bowl, place the rinsed and drained black beans, celery, onions, bell pepper, pepper sauce (or fine diced Jalapeno), garlic powder and cumin. Mix together. Set aside.
- 4Take the "Cooked" tilapia from the fridge and using a slotted spoon, remove from lemon juice and put in bowl with bean mixture. No need to drain completely, as the lemon juice that clings to the fish is part of the dressing. Add Olive oil and chopped cilantro/parsley and toss to mix. Add salt,pepper and sugar to taste. Adjust other seasonings if needed. Mix well, cover and refrigerate until serving.
- 5To serve, Line plate with lettuce leaf and mound the salad in center of plate. Add a scoop of rice to the side. (If you like things spicy, you could add some chopped hot chilies to the salad or just serve a few Jalapeno rings on the side.)
- 6This is nice as a salad, to be eaten with a fork, or you can heat some flour tortillas and serve them to scoop up the salad using them as your "fork".