Tekka Don (Easy Tuna Bowl)
Since the main ingredient of this dish is the tuna, buy good quality sushi/sashimi-grade tuna. You can buy a block of tuna and slice into thin pieces yourself (use sharp knife) or you could buy pre-cut tuna pieces called Maguro Butsugiri (chopped tuna). Usually this part of tuna doesn’t look pretty enough for use as sushi or sashimi, but it is just as tasty and more economical.
Serve with Pickled Cucumbers and Pickled Daikon.
- lb (110 g) sashimi-grade tuna (maguro), thinly sliced or cut into small cubes/chunks
- cup cooked rice (preferably short grain rice)
- roasted white sesame seeds
- thin strips of nori (dried seaweed sheets) (kizami nori)
- shiso leaves
- tbsp. soy sauce
- tsp. mirin
- tsp. sake
How to Make Tekka Don (Easy Tuna Bowl)
- 1In a bowl marinade the tuna with the seasonings for 3-5 minutes.
- 2Place the tuna on top of steamed rice that has been cooled down for 2-3 minutes.
- 3Sprinkle chopped scallions, shredded nori seaweed, and roasted white sesame seeds. You can put julienned, shiso leaves on top (optional). Serve immediately.