Salmon Patties 101
I grew up eating salmon patties served with buttered potatoes and salad with homemade viniagrette, all served on the same plate. I still love that taste combination!
This is a basic recipe with some ideas for variations. Mom used cracker crumbs, while I switched to oatmeal, which also sneaks in some fiber. Play around with your spices and make this recipe your own! =^..^=
- cooking oil or crisco, if frying
- cooking spray, optional
- 1 can(s)
- 1/2 c
- cracker crumbs, bread crumbs, or uncooked oatmeal
- salt and/or pepper, to taste
- fresh lemons or lemon juice, optional
- chopped onion
- finely chopped green pepper
- prepared horseradish
- parsley, dill, paprika, or other spices
- a little
- worcestershire sauce or hot sauce
How to Make Salmon Patties 101
- 1If you're going to fry the salmon patties, put a small amount of cooking oil or Crisco in the bottom of a frying pan & set it on the heat. Healthy types can pan fry using cooking spray or broil in the oven. Whichever you're doing, prep it now.
- 2Drain liquid from the salmon and put into a medium mixing bowl. Decide about the bones, which are totally edible & a good source of calcium. Toss them or crumble them up? Your call.
- 7ANOTHER OPTION: Salmon Loaf
Make the mixture a little stiffer with more filler, then press into a loaf pan (already misted with cooking spray). Bake at 350 degrees F. for about 40-45 minutes. Remove from oven & allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with lemon or check out Direction #6 above.