Pan-Seared Scallops with Turkey Bacon and Spinach
NOTE: Scallops are seared best in a very hot pan without non-stick coating. They come out great if you have a cast iron skillet which holds the heat at an even temperature. A serving of 3 scallops and 3/4 cup of spinach has only 315 calories and less then 6 grams of fat. We don't have scallops very often; but with recipe we will be able to have them more often along with a side dish.
- 3 slice
- of turkey bacon or center-cut bacon if not dieting.
- 1 1/2 lb
- jumbo sea scallops (about 12)
- 1/4 tsp
- kisher salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp
- fresh ground pepper,divided
- 1 c
- chopped onion
- garlic cloves, sliced
- 912 ounce) bag of baby spinach
- lenon wedges (optional)
How to Make Pan-Seared Scallops with Turkey Bacon and Spinach
- 1NOTE: Use a cast iron skillet or a skillet without non-stick service to sear the scallops for best results.
- 2Cook bacon in a large sillet over medium high heat unti crisp and remove from pan onto a paper towel.
- 3Remover pan stove and reserve about 1 tablespoon of dripping in the pan,coarsely chop bacon and set aside.
- 4Place your skillet back on the stove and increase the heat to high.
- 5Pat scallops dry with paper towels and sprinkle evenly with 1/8 each of a teaspoon salt and pepper.
- 6Add scallope to drippings in pan and cook for 2 1/2 minutes on each side or until done.
- 7Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- 8Reduce heat to medium high and add onions and garlic to pan and saute for 3 minutes, stiring frequently. Watching not to burn the garlic.
- 9Add half the spinach and cook for 1 minutes or just until wilted, stirring frequently.
- 10Add remaining half of spinach and cook 2 minutes, or until wilted, stirring frequently
- 11Remove pan from heat and stir in remaing salt and pepper.
- 12Divide spinach mixture among 4 plates, top each serving evenly with shopoped bacon and 3 scallops and server immediately with lemon wedges if desired.