Pan-Seared Scallops with Turkey Bacon and Spinach
NOTE: Scallops are seared best in a very hot pan without non-stick coating. They come out great if you have a cast iron skillet which holds the heat at an even temperature. A serving of 3 scallops and 3/4 cup of spinach has only 315 calories and less then 6 grams of fat. We don't have scallops very often; but with recipe we will be able to have them more often along with a side dish.
3 sliceof turkey bacon or center-cut bacon if not dieting.
1 1/2 lbjumbo sea scallops (about 12)
1/4 tspkisher salt, divided
1/4 tspfresh ground pepper,divided
1 cchopped onion
6garlic cloves, sliced
1912 ounce) bag of baby spinach
4lenon wedges (optional)
How to Make Pan-Seared Scallops with Turkey Bacon and Spinach
- NOTE: Use a cast iron skillet or a skillet without non-stick service to sear the scallops for best results.
- Cook bacon in a large sillet over medium high heat unti crisp and remove from pan onto a paper towel.
- Remover pan stove and reserve about 1 tablespoon of dripping in the pan,coarsely chop bacon and set aside.
- Place your skillet back on the stove and increase the heat to high.
- Pat scallops dry with paper towels and sprinkle evenly with 1/8 each of a teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Add scallope to drippings in pan and cook for 2 1/2 minutes on each side or until done.
- Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium high and add onions and garlic to pan and saute for 3 minutes, stiring frequently. Watching not to burn the garlic.
- Add half the spinach and cook for 1 minutes or just until wilted, stirring frequently.
- Add remaining half of spinach and cook 2 minutes, or until wilted, stirring frequently
- Remove pan from heat and stir in remaing salt and pepper.
- Divide spinach mixture among 4 plates, top each serving evenly with shopoped bacon and 3 scallops and server immediately with lemon wedges if desired.