Old Timey Fish Stew
We grew up eating this and my mother would make it the same way as Daddy did. And she couldn't really cook! lol!
Hope y'all enjoy it!
- 1 lb
- smokey bacon, low salt
- 5 lb
- peeled and diced potatoes, red or white, is fine
- 1 pkg
- large eggs, a dozen preferable
- 2 large
- yellow onions, chopped
- 2 5 pound pkg
- fresh or frozen fish fillets, if you have fresh,by all means use them
- hot sauce to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large
- cans tomato paste
How to Make Old Timey Fish Stew
- 1In a large stock pot, cook bacon until done, remove to plate, keep warm.
- 2Add onions, cook until soft about 5 minutes.
- 3Crumble up your bacon,and return to the pot, add potatoes, fish fillets, and enough water to cover.
- 4Cook over medium heat until potatoes and fish are almost done.
- 5Add the 2 cans of tomato paste and stir well. Be careful not to stir the stew too much or else the fish will break apart. Lower the heat to a simmer.
- 6Add hot sauce to taste or to your liking. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- 7Crack the eggs whole one at a time into the stew,let them poach. Be careful as you stir them. Let the eggs cook until they are firm. Taste your broth and adjust your seasonings if needed.
- 8Turn off the heat. Let sit for about 15 minutes. Serve and enjoy!