Not Your Grandmother's Tuna Casserole
·vegetable cooking spray
2 Tbspolive oil
1 Tbspbutter, unsalted
1small onion, chopped
12 ozbag frozen artichokes
1 1/2 cnon-dairy heavy cream substitute
1/2 cvegetable broth
1 lbtuna steaks/pieces
·salt and pepper to taste
2 tspcumin or curry
·red pepper flakes
How to Make Not Your Grandmother's Tuna Casserole
- Spray a large pan (12 inch, if you have one) with cooking spray and heat at med-high.
- Add butter and evenly distribute it throughout the pan.
- Place each piece of tuna flat on the pan and let cook for about 3 minutes per side (slightly longer if not fully thawed).
- When tuna is finished, place on a plate and set aside.
- Add the other tablespoon of butter and add the onion. Sauté until clear to golden.
- Add artichokes to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes, or until slightly tender. Be sure to stir often.
- Next is where you would add capers to your liking. If you do not like capers, it is a trivial part to the dish that could be omitted to the cook's taste.
- Add vegetable broth and lower heat to medium. Let simmer until broth has gone down slightly (about 5 minutes).
- Next add the tuna back into the pan and add the spices, being sure to cover both sides of the tuna.
- Add the heavy cream substitute and let simmer for another 5 minutes, or until the liquid evaporates a little and leaves a thick cream.
- Serve alone or over pasta cooked in 5 parts water and 1 part vegetable broth.