My Better Then Fast Food Fish Sandwich
- 1/2 c
- whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 c
- whole wheat panko bread crumbs (found it in the organic section of my grocery store)
- 2 large
- egg whites
- 8 oz
- cod fillet, cut on the bias into 4 equal pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- non-stick cooking spray
- 1/2 c
- fat free mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp
- no sugar added sweet relish, such as mr. olive
- whole wheat hamburger buns
- lettuce leaves, shredded
- 4 slice
- low fat chedder cheese
- 4 slice
- vine ripened tomato
How to Make My Better Then Fast Food Fish Sandwich
- 1Preheat your oven to 450
- 2Place a wire rack on a foil-lined baking sheet and set aside.
- 3Put the flour in a shallow dish and put the panko in another shallow dish.
- 4In a medium bowl, whip the egg whites with a whisk until they are extrememly foamy but not quite holding peaks.
- 5Season the fish pieces with salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Working in batches, dredge the fish in the flour, shaking off any excess.
- 7Add the fish to the egg whites and toss to coat completely.
- 8Add the fish a few at a time to the panko and coat completely.
- 9Spread the fish out on the wire rack and spray it with lightly with cooking spray.
- 10Place the fish in your pre-heated oven and bake until the breading is golden and crispy and the fish is cooked through, about 10 to 15 minutes
- 11While fish is baking add the mayonnaise and relish in a small bowl and stir to combine and set aside.
- 12Toast the hamburger buns in a toaster oven or in a non-stick fry pan.
- 13Remove fish from the oven. Spread the tarter sauce on the bottom of the hamburger bun.
- 14Layer shredded lettuce on top of the sauce and then top with the fish.
- 15Add the sheese and tomato slice and top with top bun.
- 16Serve immediately.