Mojakka-Finnish Fish Soup
2 mediumtrout fillets, boned and skin on
4 mediumyukon gold potatoes cut in half
1/2 ccelery, cut in small cubes
4 mediumscallions, chopped
4 cpotato water (saved from boiling the potatoes)
4 cgoat milk
1/4 cgoat butter
3 mediumbay leaves
1/4 tspdried thyme (its strong to don't use anymore)
·salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tspfresh parsley
How to Make Mojakka-Finnish Fish Soup
- Clean the potatoes and cut in half. Cook for 7-10 minutes in a large stew pot. Make sure you check them. Stick a fork in them at the 7 minute mark, if they are still a bit hard, that's fine, take them off the heat and remove from the water. Keep the cooking water!!!
- Put the fish and bay leaves into the potato water and cook for 10-15 minutes. Then, remove the bay leaves when done and set the fish aside.
- Pour the potato/fish water into another pot.
- Using the pot you just emptied, add the butter and saute the scallions, celery, thyme and salt and pepper. Don't let it brown, just cook until the scallions are soft. Add the flour and stir gently.
- Add the water back into the pot with the butter, scallions, celery and thyme and add the milk. Simmer this on medium for about 10-15 more minutes. This will thicken slightly.
- While this is simmering flake the fish and add it with the potatoes back into the liquid.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley if you wish.