IRISH FISH CAKES
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
6 mediumpotatoes, peeled and cubed
3 or 4fish filets, your choice
1 Tbspfinely chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbsplemon juice - or - zest from one lemon
3 Tbspall purpose flour
·salt and pepper to taste
1/2 crolled oats - or - quick-cooking oats
3 Tbspcanola oil
How to Make IRISH FISH CAKES
- Place the cubed potatoes in a large pot of boiling water, to which a pinch of salt has been added. Bring potatoes to a second boil and reduce heat. Cover and cook about 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside to cool.
- While potatoes are cooling, prepare the fish. Place fillets in a medium sized skillet and cover them with water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then simmer until fully cooked, about five to ten minutes. Drain fish and set aside.
- Add 1-2 Tbsp. butter to the potatoes and mash thoroughly. Once mashed, add parsley and lemon. Mix well. Flake the cooked and drained fish into the potato mixture and thoroughly combine. Add 3 Tbsp. flour and mix well.
- Using floured hands, form fish mixture into 1-inch thick patties and place on floured surface.
- In a shallow bowl beat 1 egg and 1 tsp. water together. In another shallow bowl, add oats. Dip each fish cake into the egg, coating it well. Then dip into the oats, again coating well.
- In a large skillet, heat 3 Tbsp. oil. Cook fish cakes in the oil for about 8 minutes on each side until they are a golden brown and heated through.