2 Tbspdried oregano
1 Tbspfresh cilantro
3/4 colive oil, divided***
1 Tbspfresh lemon juice
1/2 tspsea salt
1/2 tspground black pepper
1 Tbspapricot jam (optional)
4 mediumtuna, salmon or your choice of fish filets
How to Make FISH ITALIANO SOUTHWESTERN STYLE (SALLYE)
- Peel garlic clove and place in food processor.
Remove stems from cilantro and place leaves in processor.
Add dried oregano (I use Mexican) to processor.
- Continuously process the garlic, oregano, and cilantro in processor while gradually dribbling 1/4 cup of olive oil*** in until it forms a smooth paste.
- Add the lemon juice, salt and pepper and process until well mixed.
Continue to process as you add the remaining 1/2 cup oil*** until mixture is blended.
- Place fish filets in large ziplock bag and pour half the marinade on the fish.
Seal bag and turn over several times to make sure all fish is well coated.
Marinate in fridge for 1 to 2 hours, turning a couple of times so fish will marinate evenly.
- Reserve the other half of the marinade/sauce in a closed container in the fridge. You will use it for a sauce on cooked fish.
- Remove marinated fish from fridge and place on cutting board or in shallow dish.
- OPTIONS FOR COOKING FISH:
(1) Pan grill in cast iron (or heavy) skillet for 2-3 minutes per side.
(2) Bake in 400º oven for about 8 minutes, turning once about halfway through baking process
(3) Place on grill at medium high heat. Cook for about 3 minutes per side.
- DO NOT TRY TO TURN OVER BY FORCE OR FISH WILL BREAK APART. The fish will "release" when it is ready to turn. Fish is done when you can flake it with a fork.
- Remove reserved sauce from fridge and place in microwave safe bowl. Whisk in the apricot jam (optional) until well blended.
Microwave for about 2 minutes until heated through. Do not allow to boil .
- Place on serving dish and dribble the reserved sauce over it.
- SMACK, SMACK. Delicious and healthy.