Casserole of Scallops - Fine Company Dish
Sometimes I sprinkle chopped parsley over the top for a bit of color.
Yes, I know the "rule" about not combining fish or shellfish with cheese, but the Gruyere really complements the scallops!
Wonderful with pasta!
- 2 lb
- bay scallops
- 1 and 1/2 c
- dry white wine
- shallots, minced
- 1/4 c
- lemon juice
- 6 Tbsp
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 c
- heavy cream
- egg yolks
- 6 Tbsp
- grated gruyere cheese
How to Make Casserole of Scallops - Fine Company Dish
- 1Cook the scallops in a skillet with the wine, shallots, lemon juice, 3 tablespoons of the butter, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer 6 - 8 minutes.
- 2Remove the scallops to a 2 and 1/2 to 3 quart casserole. Cook down the sauce in skillet to 1 cup, boiling it vigorously. Add the cream. Mix together well and simmer briefly.
- 3Beat some of the sauce into the egg yolks, return to the sauce and mix well. Do not boil. Stir in remaining butter.
- 4Pour sauce over the scallops and sprinkle with grated cheese. Run under the broiler to brown the top delicately. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.