BLACKENED CATFISH CREOLE STYLE (SALLYE)
Bonus: It is heathier for you than fried fish. Hope you try it.
4 mediumcatfish filets, skin removed
1 tspchili powder
2 tspsmoked paprika
1/2 tspdried oregano leaves
1 tspdried thyme
1 tspgarlic powder or granules
1 tsponion powder
1 tspground black pepper
2 tspkosher or coarse sea salt
1/2 cmelted butter
1 dash(es)liquid smoke (optional0
1 mediumlemon, thinly sliced
How to Make BLACKENED CATFISH CREOLE STYLE (SALLYE)
- Rinse the catfish fillets and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place the spices in a spice or coffee grinder and grind until they are powdery. Let set for a minute until dust settles.
- Line a cooking sheet or dish with foil or parchment paper. .
- Place butter in microwave for 10-15 seconds, just long enough to melt. Remove from microwave and add the tequila, liquid smoke (optional), and spices to the butter, and whisk until well blended.
- Heavily coat each fillet on all sides with the butter/spice mixture. Place each coated fillet on the sheet.
Place in fridge for about 30 minutes before cooking.
- Place cast iron skillet on medium high heat. When skillet is smoking hot, carefully slide the fillets into the skillet. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side. Flip the fish carefully with a wide spatula to keep it from falling apart.
- IMPORTANT: DO NOT TRY TO FLIP THE FISH IF IT IS STILL STICKING TO THE SKILLET. IT WILL RELEASE WHEN IT IS READY TO BE TURNED.
- !!! SMOKE ALARM ALERT !!! IF YOU DON'T TURN YOUR VENT FAN ON AND OPEN A WINDOW, YOUR SMOKE ALARM WILL PROBABLY SCREAM AT YOU. IF YOU HAVE A SMALL FAN, YOU MIGHT WANT TO TURN IT ON TO ALSO DEFLECT SOME OF THE HEAT AND SMOKE.
- Additional note: You can use this same recipe to broil this fish in your oven. Same instructions apply, cook each side under broiler for -4 minutes, turning once. .