Basque Steamed Clams on a Bed of Rice
Tuesday night was my favorite dinner as they served, Steamed clams on bed of rice, Roast Beef, soup, salad, wine, and french bread and Spumoni ice cream. Every night of the week was differt. But Tuesdays was my favorite, because of the steamed clams. Everything was serve on long picnic tables, served communally.
- 1 lb
- small clams
- large garlic cloves, chopped fine
- onions, chopped fine
- 4 Tbsp
- 2 1/4
- cups dry white wine
- freshly grated lemon peel, plus 1/2 tbls of freshly squeeze lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp
- chopped parsely
- a couple of strands of saffron
- sea salt and feshly ground pepper
- large soup pan
- 1/2 c
- clam juice
- 4 c
- jasmine rice
How to Make Basque Steamed Clams on a Bed of Rice
- 1Scub the clams clean.
- 2Add 4 cups water to pan. Add the saffron, butter, garlic, onion, wine, lemon jucie and clam juice. Bring to a boil, add the clams, cover and simmer until they open. Take the clams out and cook your rice in the clam broth that you just now have made.
- 3Serve the hot clams on a bed of rice with a lemon zest and and chopped parsely.
Serve with hot French bread and sweet butter.