BAKED, STUFFED WILD SALMON FILETS
★★★★★ 1 vote5
10-12medium sized, fresh or frozen shrimp chopped small, (tails removed)
1 pkg300 grams, frozen chopped spinach (thawed and squeezed to remove excess liquid)
1/4 cfeta cheese, (chopped small)
1/8 c“zatarain’s fish-fry” (if you do not have zatarain’s, use any finely ground white corn meal or corn meal flour… martha white, for instance.)
2 Tbspchopped fresh basil leaf
2 Tbspchopped, fresh italian parsley
2wild salmon filets, skin on, (about 15 inches in length)
·old bay seasoning, for rubbing the salmon flesh
1 largewhole lemon, cut into at least 8 slices
2 Tbspsalt-free butter or margarine, at room temperature for easy spreading
·foil wrap for baking prepared salmon
·olive oil, extra virgin, for drizzling
How to Make BAKED, STUFFED WILD SALMON FILETS
- PREPARE THE STUFFING
in a bowl, mix well first 6 ingredients. set aside and continue with the other preparation. Set aside for later use.
- METHOD FOR PREPARING THE SALMON
Tear off 2 sheets of foil, long enough to fold over the salmon at each end, and prepare as follows….
- Rub two, salmon filets lightly with salmon rub, or old bay seasoning (flesh sides only).
- Slather one side of each length of foil, with salt free butter or margarine.
- Lay half the lemon slices on the bottom length of foil.
- Place one filet, skin-side down, lengthwise, on one piece of lemon-buttered foil.
- Spread all the stuffing, and pack down along the entire length of fish.
- Place the second filet, skin side up onto the first filet and stuffing. Press down tightly.
- Butter the upper skin with butter or margarine.
- Press the edges of the salmon together, lightly to seal… add the remaining lemon slices to the top filet.
- Cover the fish tightly, with the second piece of foil; bring the sides and ends of the foil up and over as far as it will go.
- Make a slit 1/2 way along in the pouch. Drizzle olive oil into the pouch. Be generous.
- Set on an oven-proof baking (grilling) pan. Cook in your outdoor grill, or oven for 3/4 of an hour, or until done….
- TO SERVE:
Slice the fish, across the body, one slice at a time, with a very sharp knife.
- Peel the top skin from the first slice. It will remove very easily.
Do not use a serrated blade.
With a spatula, lift the slice by inserting spatula between flesh and
bottom skin; lift and place on individual plates.
You should have a top and bottom slice of filet complete with beautiful stuffing.
- Continue with the rest of the salmon, one slice at a time.
Serve with your favourite sides. (eg. Rice, Orzo, roasted mixed root
vegetables, fingerling potatoes and pearl onions, etc.