Baked Trout Meuniere - Nice Company Dish
Stuffed trout is floured and browned in butter, then finished cooking in the oven. Sole is also good prepared this way.
Although crushed crackers are used in the original recipe, Panko crumbs make a fine substitute.
Fish can be cooked bones in, or split, bones removed and folded back over.
***Photo (though not recipe) via Emeril LaGasse!
- 1/4 lb
- butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 c
- onion, minced
- 1/2 lb
- mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Tbsp
- fresh parsley, minced
- 2 c
- soda crackers, crushed (or 2 cups panko bread crumbs)
- 2 - 3 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- black pepper
- 1/8 tsp
- dried thyme
- brook trout
- 1/2 c
- 2 Tbsp
- lemon juice
- lemon zest (optional)
- additional minced fresh parsley (optional)
How to Make Baked Trout Meuniere - Nice Company Dish
- 1Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Melt half of the butter in skillet and saute onions 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Mix in parsley, crackers (or Panko crumbs), 1 teaspoon of the salt, 1/4 teaspoon of the black pepper, and the thyme.
- 2Open the trout and spread with the stuffing mixture, leaving 1/2-inch border around edges. Sew opening closed - just enough to prevent leakage, OR use toothpicks to close. It really is best to sew closed, and only takes a couple of minutes.
- 3Mix flour and the remaining salt and pepper. Coat trout well with flour mixture.
- 4Melt remaining butter in skillet; cook trout over low heat until browned on all sides. Bake in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes, or until fish flakes easily - do not overcook!
Remove fish from oven; carefully snip and remove thread, or toothpicks. Sprinkle with lemon juice, and a small amount of lemon zest and freshly minced parsley, if desired. Serve and enjoy!