Bahamian Stew Fish
This stew fish is wonderful served with grits, johnny cake, rice or homemade bread.
Tip: When needed, I use a roux of 2 tbsp of flour and water to thicken the stew. Be sure to use a strainer.
- 2 – 3 lbs fish, cleaned and seasoned (we normally use grouper or snapper)
- 1/3 cup cooking oil
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste (optional)
- salt & pepper to taste
How to Make Bahamian Stew Fish
- 1Partially fry fish until brown on both sides.
- 2Heat oil in heavy frying pan/skillet, add flour and stir continually until brown.
- 3Take care that it does not burn.
- 4Add onion, thyme & tomato paste (optional) and mix well.
- 5Place in a pot of boiling water (about 6 cups).
- 6Reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 15 – 20 minutes or until fish is properly cooked.. and enjoy.