A FISHY TACO (BATES)
If you are a died in the wool Tex-Mex fan, here is a recipe to guide you gently into the world of fish tacos.
1/2 corange juice, fresh isqueezed if possible
1/2 clime juice, fresh squeezed if possible
2 Tbspolive oil
1 Tbspdiy chili seasoning (recipe link in comments)
1/3 bunchcilantro, leaves only
2+ lbmahi mahi or tuna fillets
1 mediumred onion
1 mediumgreen bell pepper (optional)
1 mediumred or yellow bell pepper(optional)
10+flour tortillas (recipe link in comments or use storemade)
·creamy jalapeno dip (recipe link below)
·peachy keen salsa (recipe link below)
How to Make A FISHY TACO (BATES)
- Cut fish fillets into bite sized chunks and place in large Ziplock bag
Place marinade ingredients in food processor and pulse until emulsified. Pour into ziplock bag over fish chunks, seal and place in fridge for 15-30 minutes.
CAUTION: DO NOT LEAVE FISH IN MARINADE OVER 2 HOURS OR THE CITRUS JUICES WILL BEGIN TO "COOK" IT.
- While fish is marinating, slice onion very thin and cut mango into bite sized chunks. Place in bowl and set aside.
Cut bell peppers into halves and remove cores, membranes and seeds. Cut peppers into thin strips and set aside
- When ready to cook, drain marinade from fish into a bowl and reserve.
Heat grill or heavy large skillet (cast iron preferred) to medium high heat.
Place fish on grill or in skillet and cook for approximately 8 minutes until fish is cooked through.
Pour about 2 tablespoons of reserved marinade into another heavy skillet, heat on medium high until shimmering, add onions and bell peppers and cook about 3-4 minutes until soft.
Add mango the last 2 minutes to get a nice caramelized outer crust.
- You can either toast the tortillas on the grill for about 30 seconds to a minute until they begin to get brown spots or place them between two paper towels in the microwave and heat them for 20-30 seconds until warm.
- Serve fish and onions, peppers & mangos in a chafing or other dish that will retain heat
Set bowls of Creamy Jalapeno dip and Peachy Keen Salsa on the table, along with a small bowl of lime wedges.
You can also place bowls of diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce and avacado slices on the table.
Let everyone build their own tacos.