Whole Wheat Tortilla Casserole
Virginia (Ginger) Dean
★★★★★ 2 votes5
3whole chicken breasts, cooked and shredded by hand
2 tspolive oil
1/4 cchopped onion
1 1/2 cfresh whole kernal corn
1 can(s)(14.5 oz) petite dice tomatoes
1 can(s)(10 oz) rotelle tomatoes
1 pkgtaco seasoning
6-88 inch soft whole wheat flour tortillas
3 cshredded cheese
How to Make Whole Wheat Tortilla Casserole
- Cook chicken breast in water until tender. Allow to cool and shred by hand. Reserve 1 cup chicken broth.
- In medium pan add chopped onions to 2 teaspoons light olive oil. Saute for a couple of minutes. Add corn, both the petite and rotel tomatoes, salsa, taco seasoning, and chicken broth to pan. Stir and bring to a low simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.
Note: If fresh corn is out of season use fresh frozen corn that has been thawed.
- Lightly spray a 13 x 9 inch pan with PAM.
Using kitchen shears cut tortillas into smaller pieces.
- Layer in the pan 1/2 the cut up tortillas, 1/2 of the vegetable/chicken mixture, and 1/2 the cheese. Repeat with another layer of the same.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Enjoy!
Optional: If you like, top servings with shredded lettuce and sour cream. You can also add additional salsa.