Whole Rubbed Chicken In A Crock Pot
FOR THE RUB
4 tspsea salt
1 tspcayenne pepper
1 tsponion powder
1 tspgarlic salt
2 tspdried thyme
1 tspcracked black pepper
1 largeroasting chicken
1 cchopped onion
·assorted root vegetables (optional)
How to Make Whole Rubbed Chicken In A Crock Pot
- I used my 7 qt. Kitchen Aid crock pot. It was just the right size for this recipe. My chicken was 4 lbs.
- Combine all the spices in a small bowl.
- Clean your whole chicken and pat dry. If you have any giblets remove them.
- Rub the spice mixture all over the chicken. If you want to cure the chicken for a day or two in the fridge, then put the rubbed chicken in a large reusable plastic zip lock type bag.
- Once you're ready to cook the chicken, peel and clean your veggies (if using) and put them in the bottom of the crock pot. Lay the chicken on top of the veggies and turn the crock pot on to high. Put a 1/2 cup of chicken broth in the bottom of the crock pot.
- My crock pot gets really hot, so it takes a very short time to cook my food in it. The veggies and chicken all cooked in 3 1/2-4 hours on high. Check the food after about 2 1/2 hours if you are using the same method as I am. It might surprise you how fast this can cook. You can of course cook this on low for 6 hours if you wish. Just check the food at least an hour before the time is up to make sure it isn't over cooked.