Chicken Tortilla Soup or Tortilla Chile Soup
56 inch corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
1 1/2 lbskinned, boned chicken breasts
1 can(s)15.5 ounce cannellini beans or other white beans, undrained
1 can(s)14.5 ounce mexican-style stewed tomatoes with garlic, cumin, and jalapenos, undrained (i use rotel medium with the blue label)
1 box14.5 ounce fat free chicken broth
3 can(s)4.5 ounce chopped green chiles, undrained
1/4 cfresh lime juice (about 3-4 limes)
2 tspbottled minced garlic
3/4 tspground cumin
1/2 tspdried oregano
2/3 clow-fat sour cream
2/3 cshredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese ( i use shredded taco cheese with taco seasoning)
How to Make Chicken Tortilla Soup or Tortilla Chile Soup
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spread tortilla strips on a baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 6 minutes or until toasted, stirring after 3 minutes. Depending on your oven they may cook faster so be sure to keep an eye on them. Set aside.
- Combine chicken and next 8 ingredients in a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Remove chicken from pan with tongs or slotted spoon. Let cool slightly; shred chicken. (I have tried cubing but shredded is defintely better.) Return shredded chicken to pan;stir well. Cook until heated through. Ladle soup into bowls;top with 1Tbsp sour cream, 1 Tbsp cheese and one fifth of tortilla strips.
- Just a note: This recipe can easily be kicked up with the addition of more jalapenos(besides what is in the canned tomatoes) and/or hot Rotel.