To Nancy with Love Chicken Bratwursts with Balsamic Asparagus & Onion Relish
This is a diabetic friendly sandwich and I benefited from this challenge as well, as I have recently been diagnosed with diabetes and need to learn more about the disease and the dietary requirements.
Did you know that a spoonful of vinegar helps the blood sugar go down? Recent studies have shown that vinegar decreased both fasting and after-meal glucose levels. Check out the link below for a very interesting article on the subject.
Carbohydrates = 29 grams/serving
Carbohydrate Serving = 2/serving
(Total grams per serving divided by 15 (1 carbohydrate serving is the amount of food with 15 grams carbohydrate))
- 3 Tbsp
- olive oil
- chicken apple sausage links
- 1 large
- onion, chopped
- 1 c
- fresh asparagus, chopped
- small clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp
- 2 Tbsp
- balsamic vinegar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- whole wheat hot dog buns
How to Make To Nancy with Love Chicken Bratwursts with Balsamic Asparagus & Onion Relish
- 1Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook 2-3 minutes per side until beginning to brown. Remove the sausage from the pan, set aside and cover to keep warm.
- 2In the same pan, stir in the onions, asparagus, and minced garlic, coat them with the olive oil and sprinkle them with splenda. Let the mixture stand, without stirring for 2-3 minutes until beginning to lightly brown. Gently turn the mixture and again allow them to stand and lightly brown. Continue cooking until the onions in the mixture are evenly golden brown. Stir in the balsamic vinegar and cook another 1-2 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 3Return sausage to the pan to warm if needed. Place sausage link in hot dog bun and top with the asparagus and onion relish.