Sweet and Sour Chicken Low Sodium
Jo Ann McFarlane
Nutritional Values without optional ingredients:
total fat 1.5 grams
1 lbskinless boneless chicken breasts
3 Tbspolive oil divided
1/4 cflour for dredging
8 1/2 ozpineapple tidbits or chunks
1/2 cjellied cranberry sauce
2 Tbspbrown sugar
2 Tbsprice vinegar
2 Tbspfrozen orange juice concentrate
1 Tbspdry sherry (optional)
1 tspsoya sauce, low sodium
1/4 tspground ginger
1 mediumgreen bell pepper, cut into chunks
3/4 cdry roasted cashews unsalted (optional)
How to Make Sweet and Sour Chicken Low Sodium
- Heat electric frying pan to 350 degrees.
- While pan is heating up cut chicken into 1"x1" piece and put in a plastic bag with flour and dredge shaking off excess flour.
- Add half of the olive oil to pan and add coated chicken until cooked through.
- Remove chicken from pan and keep warm.
- Drain the juice from pineapple into a bowl and set the pineapple aside.
- Add jellied cranberry sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, orange juice concentrate, sherry (if using), soy sauce, and ginger to pineapple juice and whisk until smooth.
- Put cornstarch and water in a cup and mix. Whisk into juice mixture.
- Put green pepper in frying pan with remaining olive oil and cook until tender crisp.
- Add reserved chicken, juice mixture, and reserved pineapple. Stir until chicken is hot and sauce has thickened and add cashews.