Sweet and Sour Chicken
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 medium
- green peppers, diced in cubes
- 1 large
- carrot, sliced thin
- 1 large
- onion, chopped in chunks
- sweet and sour sauce, (below)
- stir fry batter, (below)
How to Make Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 2Next step is the Sweet and Sour Sauce. You need: 1 TBSP corn starch and 1 TBSP water. Mix well and set aside.
You will also need : 2 TBSP soy sauce, 3TBSP sugar, or any sweetener of your choice, 2 TBSP vinegar, 1 TBSP ketchup.
In medium saucepan, add these ingredients and cook over medium heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture is smooth looking in the pot.
Stir the corn starch mixture to blend from sitting and pour in a steady stream into the mixture in saucepan, stirring as you do so to prevent lumping.
Continue stirring until the mixture is smooth and clear. Sauce will thicken to a slight bubble. At this point, remove from stove and set aside.
If you want a dipping sauce instead of the intended sauce here, continue stirring until the sauce is as thick as you want it. Do not allow sauce to stick to bottom of pan. If you want to use pineapple in it, use a small can of chunks with juice at the beginning.
- 5Add about 3 cups of vegetable oil to wok or large skillet for stir frying. While the oil is heating, stir chicken pieces in batter to make sure they are thoroughly coated.
When oil is hot add chicken pieces gradually to the oil. Do Not let them touch or they will stick together when they cook. This is not a heavy coating, so don't expect a dark golden brown on the chicken pieces when they are done. They will fry up fast and actually turn over on their own when lightly touched while cooking. When the oil stops "popping", the chicken is done. Remove and drain on paper towels and set aside.