Steamed Chicken Rice
This is the way my mum makes it, and the way I make it. It's quick, it's simple, it's healthy and I have been thinking about it all night long. I will make this tomorrow. In the meantime, posting the recipe will have to do.
How to Make Steamed Chicken Rice
- 1Thaw your chicken completely if it is frozen. Do not use a microwave to defrost.
- 2Wash rice, drain and add water as per cooking directions. Smash garlic pips, remove the skin and chop off the heads then stir into rice. Set to cook.
- 3While the rice is cooking, set chicken to cook as well. Leave the skin on the chicken thighs. Rub salt all over three chicken pieces and place set aside to steam. Bring water to boil before setting the chicken over it. Steam for 20 minutes, till chicken is tender when pierced with a fork.
- 4Cut off the ends of the cucumber and skin, but do not peel off all the skin. Slice (thick or thin is your preference) and then chill.
- 5*In a small dish, prepare some thick (dark) soy sauce. When chicken is done, spoon some of the broth from the chicken into the dish and stir so the soy sauce and the broth combines.
- 6Fluff the rice and serve with steamed chicken, cucumber and sauce.
*I usually just have my rice with the chicken broth, not so the dark sauce. You can chop up the chicken beforehand or have a serrated knife at hand and carve to serve. Dad usually does the honours. I sometimes add some dried wolfberries to my chicken, tucking it around and then steaming.