Mertzie's Simple Salad Chicken Caprese Style
- large chicken breasts, marinated in italian dressing overnight
- large handful & more of fresh basil (i load it!)
- handful of fresh italian parsley
- 15 grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 block mozzarella, sliced in large chunks or slices
- 1/2 red onion and 1/2 green pepper
- garlic' crushed
- salt & pepper to taste
- freshly grated parmesan for on top
- mix of 1/2 balsamic vinegar & 1/2 red wine vinegar (1/8 cup of each)
- canola or olive oil
- italian seasoning (about 1/2 tsp)
- fresh thyme, crushed (about 1 tsp)
- garlic, crushed (about 1/2 tsp or to your taste)
- croutons or bread crumbs (optional -- see note at bottom)
How to Make Mertzie's Simple Salad Chicken Caprese Style
- 1Marinate chicken breasts overnight, as stated. I used roasted red pepper Italian dressing. Grill chicken, red onions, and pepper until done. I sprinkled the chicken with smoked sea salt after it grilled.
- 2Allow to cool off for a bit. Meanwhile, slice up your grapes and mozz. Rough chop the basil and parsley.
- 3Slice chicken in large bite-sized chunks. Add the tomatoes, onions and green pepper. Pour a little of the dressing on top and stir gently. If you want more garlic flavor, add more crushed garlic. Add the basil & parsley. I added the mozz right as I was ready to serve and toppped with fresh parmesan. I also had some Bagel Chips in my cupboard, so I crushed those up good and sprinkled on top for some crunch. Usually I make homemade croutons, but was lazy and this worked great.
- 4I served the rest of the dressing with the salad to pour over on each individual plate. My son doesn't like a lot of dressing and I do, so this way it keeps everyone happy. Enjoy!