★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 - 3 lb
- whole chicken
- 1 large
- onion, halved - unpeeled
- 3 large
- carrots, cut into chunks - unpeeled
- celery stalks. cut into chunks
- 1 Tbsp
- whole peppercorn
- water to cover
- cans cheap biscuits
- all purpose flour
How to Make Simple Chicken & Dumplin's
- 1Place chicken in a large pot with onions, carrots, celery, and peppercorn; add water to cover. Cover pot and bring to a boil; reduce heat to gentle boil and cook for about 90 minutes or until chicken meat is falling off the bones.
- 2Remove chicken, let cool and shred of chop the meat. Strain broth and discard veggies or save for later use.
- 3Open biscuits. Pinch off pieces and put in bowl of flour. Shake off excess flour and drop into boiling broth a few at a a time. Stir frequently! ** Use as much or as few as you would like!
- 4Once all biscuits are in the broth, lower the heat to medium low, cover and simmer until desired texture of dumpling is achieved. (I like the chewy so I cook them for about 30 minutes.) STIR OFTEN OR THEY WILL STICK!
- 5If you want to thicken the broth, mix a little flour with some water to make a slurry then slowly add to the broth, stiring constantly until well mixes in.
- 6When dumplings are almost done, add chicken back to the pot and stir in the dumplings. Season to taste.