Scarborough Roasted Chicken
2-3 largegarlic cloves
1/2 tspdried sage
2 tspparsley flakes
1 &1/2 tspdried rosemary
1&1/2 tspdried thyme
How to Make Scarborough Roasted Chicken
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pull out a 9x13 baking pan.
You can roast the chicken on a rack or straight in the pan. Either way works fine. Chef's choice.
- In a small bowl, mix the sage, rosemary, thyme, and parsley. Add the salt and pepper. Mix well.
Measure out 2 tsp. of spice mixture into another small bowl. (You should have 2 small bowls of spice mixture.)
- Take one of the small bowls of spices and cream in the 2 T butter with a fork. Blend well.
- Peel and slice the garlic.
Slice the lemon in half and set aside.
- Prep the chicken. Remove the extras, the liver, heart and gizzards. Trim off the extra fat pieces near the bottom. Place the chicken in the pan.
Now, loosen the skin over the breasts and legs. You can slide your fingers in under the skin or use a wooden spoon.
- Place half of the sliced garlic in the cavity of the chicken. Slide the rest of the sliced garlic under the chicken skin, spreading it over the breasts and legs.
- Using your fingers, spread the herb/butter under the skin.
You can use a spoon or knife, but be careful not to puncture the skin.
- Squeeze half of the lemon over the chicken. Squeeze the other half into the cavity of the chicken. Put 1 tsp. of the spice mixture into the chicken cavity. Tuck the used lemon halves into the chicken cavity. Sprinkle the remaining spice mixture over the chicken.
- Place the chicken in the preheated oven. Roast for 1 &1/2 to 2 hours. Check the chicken at 90 minutes to see if it is done. If the chicken isn't done, put it back in the oven for another 30 minutes.If the leg joints move loosely, that's a good sign. Or you can use a meat thermometer. The chicken should register 165 degrees.
Let the chicken rest for ten minutes. Enjoy!
I usually buy fryers, not roasters. When I prep a chicken, I remove the wrapper, then rinse the chicken off with water and pat it dry with a paper towel.
You can cook the chicken liver, heart and gizzards if you like.
Fresh lemon juice is the best. Reconstituted will work but fresh is best.