Rosemary, Garlic and Lemon Roasted Chicken with Lemon White Wine Sauce
- whole chicken (about 3-4 lbs)
- 3-4 sprig(s)
- fresh rosemary
- large cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp
- coarse salt
- 2 large
- onions, chopped
- 2 tsp
- lemon zest, grated
- juice of 2-3 lemons
- 2 Tbsp
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil
- dry white wine
- salt and pepper
- string for tying
How to Make Rosemary, Garlic and Lemon Roasted Chicken with Lemon White Wine Sauce
- 1Wash chicken and rub skin and cavity with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper inside and out.
- 2Chop the cloves of garlic and make a paste using a chef’s knife at an angle to grind the garlic against the salt until smooth.
- 3Mix this paste with 2 tablespoon of chopped rosemary, 2 teaspoons lemon zest and enough olive oil and lemon juice to wet the ingredients, but not so much they float in the liquid.
- 4Divide herb mixture in half and gently lift the skin of the chicken and rub flesh with the mixture, make sure to rub legs and back.
- 5Rub the skin and cavity with the other half of the mixture.
- 6Stuff the cavity with the lemons you squeezed to get juice and any rosemary you have left.
- 7Chop the onions and place on the bottom of your roasting pan. Tie the chicken legs together and place it on top of the onions in roasting pan.
- 8Pour enough white wine to cover the bottom of the roasting pan and add the lemon juice.
- 9Roast chicken in oven at 400F for 20 minutes. Lower the temperature to 350F and roast until juices run clear, about 1 more hour.
- 10Remove chicken from roasting pan and cover with foil. Allow chicken to rest at least 10 minutes before carving.
- 11Strain onions from liquid and reserve liquid. In a pan, melt the butter and gradually add the flour make sure there are no lumps
- 12Cook a few minutes and gradually add the reserved liquid while stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Bring to a boil until sauce thickens slightly. Adjust seasonings as needed.
- 13Remove string and lemons from chicken cavity. Serve with sauce on the side.