Roasted Chicken With Nutmeg and Orange
4 lbwhole roasting chicken
1 tspgrated orange zest
1 tspground nutmeg, divided
1 Tbspunsalted butter, softened
1 Tbspolive oil
1/2 tspsalt, divided
2 Tbsporange juice, fresh
2 Tbspfresh lemon juice
·ground black pepper, to taste
How to Make Roasted Chicken With Nutmeg and Orange
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Remove excess fat from cavity of chicken.
- Combine orange zest, half of the nutmeg, butter, olive oil and half of the salt. Set aside.
- Combine citrus juices and set aside.
- With fingers, gently loosen skin from breast and thigh/leg area. Put butter mixture under loosened skin, patting skin back into place to spread butter. Season with half of remaining nutmeg and salt.
- Place an oiled roasting rack in roasting pan. Place chicken (trussed if desired) breast side down. Roast 40 minutes. Carefully turn chicken breast side up and baste with cooking juices.
- Pour citrus juice over top of chicken and season with remaining salt and nutmeg, and pepper. Roast without basting another 40 minutes, or until internal temperature in leg/thigh area reaches 180ºF.
- Remove to cutting board and let rest 10 minutes before carving.