Roasted Chicken and Herbed Potato Crusted Pie
You will need a 10 inch pie plate, 9 x 13 x 3 inch baking or roasting pan
- 3 1/2 c
- peeled and finely shredded russet potatoes
- 1/2 c
- olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 1/4 tsp
- sea salt
- 3 Tbsp
- finely chopped fresh marjoram
- 1 Tbsp
- finely chopped rosemary
- 2 tsp
- dried thyme
- 1 large
- egg, slightly beaten
- fresh ground pepper
- herbed roasted (cooked) chicken from your market
- 1/2 small
- bag of fresh carrots(cleaned/small or miniature)
- 1 medium
- white onion- chopped in large pieces
- 3 stalk(s)
- celery, chopped with leaves
- 1 1/2-2 c
- low sodium chicken broth
- 1 jar(s)
- 12 oz. high quality chicken or turkey gravy
- 3 Tbsp
- chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp
- garlic salt (or to taste)
HERBED POTATO PIE CRUST
How to Make Roasted Chicken and Herbed Potato Crusted Pie
- 1CRUST: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. To grate the potatoes, use a handheld grater or processor with finely grated attachment.
- 2After the potatoes are grated, add them to a large strainer held over a large bowl. Then use your hands to squeeze as much liquid as possible out of the potatoes. Wring them out well!
- 3Add the potatoes to a large mixing bowl with the olive oil, salt, marjoram, rosemary, thyme, egg, and a few turns of pepper. Mix until everything is evenly incorporated. Remove about 1 cup of this mixture and set it aside in the refrigerator, covered tightly with plastic wrap, pressed down directly on the potatoes -- this will be the top crust of the pie.
- 4Gently press the remaining potato mixture into a 10 inch pie plate, covering the bottom and sides evenly
If it seems any excess moisture has collected, use a paper towel to press down gently on the top surface.
- 5Place the filled pie plate in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes -- the edges should be beginning to brown. Now reduce the heat to 350 degrees F and continue cooking for about another 10 minutes, until the bottom is only slightly golden brown or dry.
Remove from oven and fill with Chicken pie filling.
- 6CHICKEN PIE FILLING:
In a large deep saute pan or a large saucepan, put in chicken broth, vegetables, parsley, garlic salt. Bring to a quick boil, turn down and simmer until carrots are almost tender. About 10 minutes.
While simmering, cut good sized pieces/chunks(2-3 inches) of the chicken from the roaster. I sometimes keep some of that great herbed skin on some of the pieces.
Take saucepan off heat and let cool slighlty.
In a large bowl, mix together chicken and jarred gravey then pour the broth/vegetable mixture in, making sure you do not make it too watery. Don't add all of the broth, if it seems too soupy. Stir mixture until evenly incorporated.
Turn over up to 400.
Pour into pie crust and top with refrigerated potatoes. Bake for 20 minutes. If potatoes aren't browned, broil for a minute or two.
- 7Season this filling to your taste.
Garnish with fresh parsley, Cranberry or a chutney on the side. Serve with a Salad of fresh greens.
Use the Crust for Quiche, Mexican taco pie, shredded beef/vegetables, seafood, etc.