- 6-8 lb
- whole chicken
- fresh ground pepper
- ground sage
- coarse sea salt
- basil, dried
- ground cumin
- chili powder
- quartered potatoes
- quartered onions
- peeled and quartered carrots
- garlic cloves
- water and olive oil
How to Make Roasted Chicken
- 1Rinse the chicken and set it on a rack in a roasting pan that has been sprayed with oil. Rub the chicken all over with olive oil.
- 2Sprinkle chicken with spices. Us your own judgement as to quantities.
- 3Add vegetables around the chicken. Put a potato and an onion inside the cavity to absorb off flavors.
- 4Pour a bit of olive oil over the vegetables and add more seasoning to them as you wish.
- 5Pour a pint or so of water to cover the bottom of your roasting pan. Put the cover on and roast in an oven at 350F for an hour.
- 6Check the temperature in the thigh after an hour. Mine was about 150F so I uncovered and baked an additional hour to crisp skin and finish cooking the veggies.
- 7When the temperature reached 160F I took the roasting pan out and basted the chicken and veggies with the juice. I recovered it and let it rest for a bout 10 minutes before carving. DELICIOUS!