★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 4 lb whole chicken
- 3 Tbsp
- grated lemon zest plus 1l3 cup juice
- 1 tsp
- sugar,salt,and pepper
- 2 c
- low-sodium chicken broth/water
- 1 tsp
- 3 Tbsp
- butter, unsalted
- 1 Tbsp
- finely chopped fresh parsley
How to Make Roast Lemon Chicken
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Adjust oven rack to middle position. Using kitchen shears, cut along both sides of backbone to remove it. flatten breastbone and tuck wings behind back.
- 2Using your fingers, gently loosen skin covering breast and thigh. combine lemon zest, sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt in small bowl. Rub 2 tablespoons zest mixture under skin of chicken. Season chicken with salt and pepper and transfer to roasting pan.
- 3Season chicken can be refrigerated for 3 hours.Whisk broth, 1 cup water, lemon juice, and remaining zest mixture in 4 cups liquid measuring cup, then pour into roasting pan. ( Liquid should just reach skin of thighs.) roast until skin is golden brown and breast registers 160 degrees and thighs register 175 degrees. 45 minutes.
- 4Transfer to carving board and let rest for 20 minutes. Carefully pour liquid from pan, along with any accumulated chicken juices, into saucepan, Skim fat, then cook over medium-high heat until reduced to 1 cup, about 5 minutes, Whisk cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water in small bowl until no lumps remain, then whisk into saucepan. simmer until sauce is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Off heat, whisk in butter and parsley and season with salt and pepper, carve chicken and serve,. Enjoy